We all do it from time to time. We feel itchy or scratched and the next thing we know is to put our finger on our nose. But have you ever thought that it could actually be dangerous? Read on to find out why you might want to think twice before reading the next one.
Dangerous and multi-resistant bacteria such as Staphylococcus aureus can also enter the body. These bacteria live in your sinuses and “feed” whenever you put your finger in your nose.
Another complication: The nasal wall can become irritated and become chronically infected. Picking your nose can damage sensitive mucous membranes and cause bleeding.
The buildup of scabs makes you want to scratch more. This is how viruses, bacteria, and fungi under your nails get into your bloodstream and cause illness.
Nosebleeds can be very severe because there are 5 arteries that run through the lower part of the nose! It can take several weeks for the sensitive mucous membranes of the nose to heal properly.
Who would have thought that such a harmless habit could be so detrimental to our health? So the next time you feel the urge to do bougainvillea, you might be better off holding a tissue in your hand and blowing your nose.